When you login to the System as an Admin the first screen you view is the Home Screen
- Click on the Setup Application Form Icon to view the Applications List.
- The Application’s page lists all of the applications and their associated funding sources for the Admin’s Sponsoring Organization(s).
- From this screen you will create New Applications or Clone Applications using the button options on the right in blue. You can edit the set up details of an already existing application.
Create New Application: Select Create New Application button as shown below to create new application. In case you want to clone an application then select “Clone Existing application”.
Clone an Existing Application: If you selected the option to clone an existing application then you will be asked to select the application that you want to use in creating your new application. Note that only active applications can be cloned, archived applications will not appear. Once you select the application the data from that application will be populated to the items of your new application. The remaining items will appear for creating a new application. If cloning, you will need to make the appropriate changes to these items that are applicable for your new cloned application.
System opens up Create New Application page where we have marked mandatory fields for creating an application.
- Application Name: Enter the name of the application. This name will display to the Applicants exactly the same way it is entered here.
- Description: Enter a brief description to describe the use of this application, or you can re-enter the application name.
- Sponsoring Organization: Select the organization(s) that is responsible for maintaining the Funding Source.
- Begin Accepting Applications Date: The first date an application will be accepted.
- Deadline Date: The last date an application will be accepted is due by. The application will lock out on this date at the time specified in the Deadline Time.
- Logout URL: Redirects the user to this URL when they log out. Enter the URL for the landing page you want the applicant to go to when they log out of their application.
- Reply Sent from: This would be the email address of the key contact person responsible for communicating to/from the applicants and reviewers during the application process.
- Published: Check the check box to make the application visible to applicants.
- Select Save & Exit button to save
Select Save & Exit button to save and return
Application home page where you need to select application and create section and questions
- To reduce the list, search for a specific application using the search by fields.
- The square Icon on the left is Select. Placing a check mark in the select box will allow you to move this application to the Archive list. Archive applications when you are finished with the process and no longer need to view it in your list view. When you archive an application it is no longer viewable by the Applicant regardless of their application status.
- Click on the application name to edit the application set up, set up application details, sections and questions.
Exercise 2: Creating Pre-Qualification questions.
Select Pre-Qualification section as shown below.
Pre-Qualification Page appears without any data, we need to add questions to this section.
To Add a Question – To add a new question the Admin clicks on the Add Question button and the following screen will open.
Once you select Add Question button, the following page to add a question is shown.
- Enter the question in the Question field and click on the save & exit button to save the question entered.
- There are no limitations on how many questions you may add.
- Once you have entered the first question, the following screen appears and you can continue entering more questions.
Once a question is added we need to define proceed combination by which applicant can enter into application and apply.
To Add the Combination – To specify your combinations please select the Add button as shown below, which will ask you YES or NO.
- Click on the Yes or No to create the yes/no reply combinations for each individual questions entered above.
- The combinations will allow the applicants to Login or will take them to a Denial Message Page depending on how the combination is setup for them to proceed into the application.
The following screens shows multiple questions and their proceed combination.
Pre-Qualification Denial Message – This is the message that appears for the applicants who don’t meet the required qualifications set in the Pre-Qualification Questions. The Admin enters the Denial message.
Exercise 3: Set up Sections.
Select Sections and Questions section as shown below to add Sections in an application.
Select Create Section button to create section.
Please Enter the detail marked below.
- Section name is used internal purpose. This is used for reporting purposes and won’t be visible to the applicant.
- Section Display Name: it will be displayed to users. This is the title name that is displayed to the applicant on the applicant dashboard.
- XML Name: When importing/exporting data from the CommunityForce system and integrating this same data with another database system, the Section XML name is the most important factor in accomplishing this task successfully.
- Section Type: Sections are organized into Section Types. Section Types determine how a section deadline is treated. Section can be created to only be visible to an applicant during different statuses of the application process.
- Admin – Sections that are view-able only by the Admin as staff sections to be completed only by them.
- Application – These are the main sections of the application and are what the applicants see when they first begin to apply for an application. An applicant must complete all of the Application sections prior to submitting their initial application.
- Acceptance – Sections that an Applicant can see and complete if offered an award to acknowledge their acceptance or denial of an award.
- Post Acceptance – Sections that an Applicant can see and complete regarding how they are to receive the award, i.e. payment information, travel arrangements for a formal awarding event, etc.
- Requests – Sections created that must be filled out by and outside source, not the applicant, via an on-line form. Only the person who receives the request via email (and the Admin) sees the questions in these sections, i.e. letters of recommendations, sections to be filled out by school counselors, etc.
- Post Award – Sections created that and applicant can fill out after an award has been received, i.e. final reports, applicant progress reports, etc.
- Display Image which best suits your section description. Every section on the applicant dashboard has an image assigned to it. In the Section Display Image, the Admin can select an image icon from a variety of images.
- Show Submit button.
If yes the section is displayed with additional submit button apart from standard Save, Save & Exit, Exit without Save and Reset Form Buttons.
- Display Order: Define the read order in which the applicant views the specific sections on their dashboard, the sections are viewed left to right and you can adjust the order of where the sections fall within the applicants dashboard.
Select Save and Exit to save and return back.
Once Section is created the section is shown as following.
Activate a Section
After a section is created you will need to activate that section for the application. Click on the Activate Section check box next to the section you want to include in the application and click “Save”. If there is not a check mark in the box the section will not appear on the applicant’s dashboard.
Select the section to add question in that section.
Exercise 4: Set up Question.
Once you have created the sections of your application you can create questions under each section of your application for the applicant to answer. If you are not already in the Section and Questions set up you will need to navigate to that section as follows:
The questions grid will show all the questions currently set up for the section.
- Preview Section: Previews the section layout
- Hide/Unhide Custom Question(s) from Reviewer: Allows you to hide questions so that it does not display the selected question when the reviewer views the application.
- Delete Custom Question(s): Deletes a selected question. A question that an applicant has responded to on any application cannot be deleted, but can be marked as Excluded so that it does not appear on the application.
- Custom Question adds a new question
Label Headers of Question Table:
- Linked - Shows if this question is linked to another question within the application
- Display Order - The order in which the question is displayed on the application
- Question - The Question Name
- XML Name - The XML name given to the question for linking data to external databases or other applications for report pulling and data export/import.
- Type - The question type
- Required - Is it required that the applicant responded to this question
- Excluded - This question has been excluded from the application, but cannot be deleted
- Hidden from Applicant - This question is not viewable to the applicant.
- Hidden from Reviewer - This question is not viewable by the reviewer.
- Default Value - The response that the question automatically defaults to if not answered
- Conditions - Used to Add/Edit conditional logic for the specific question. If green than there are conditions set on this question.
Select Custom Question button where you can specify question
This will open the Add Question information screen. Fill in the data as detailed in the following sections.
- Be sure to save your work when you are finished editing.
- Save – allows you to save your work without exiting the page.
- Save and Exit – saves you work and exits you back to the Questions data grid.
- Exit without Save – exits to the Questions data grid and cancels any updates you may have made.
- Reset Form – allows you to reset the form back to the default parameters
Please find the below example for setting up text field.
The Question: editor box is where you enter the question that will be viewable by the applicant. If you desire to enter this text using, you can do so by clicking on the HTML text tab at the bottom of the editor box.
Question: the question as it will appear in the applicant’s application.
Note: This formatting is how the question will appear in the applicant’s application.
Type: Enter the type of answer field appropriate for the desired response from the applicant.
- Calculation - Read only field in which the value of the question equals the calculated sum of other numeric or currency question within the application. This question type allows you to create a formula that adds questions together to get a final total. (i.e. you have multiple question fields that are numeric that you need to add together for a final total)
- Checkbox - The applicant is presented with predetermined values to select from via a checkbox. All values are displayed on the application. Applicant can check multiple values.
- Currency - A numeric field formatted with a dollar sign
- Date - Allows for a date format of: mm/dd/yyyy
- DropDown - The applicant is presented with predetermined values to select from a dropdown listing. Applicant can only select one value from the list.
- Electronic Signature - The applicant is prompted to provide an electronic signature in the required format. The required signature has to match the First Name and Last Name the applicant entered when creating their user login profile.
- Email - Allows for an email format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- EssayBox - A large data entry area that allows text entry. May have a minimum and maximum number of words.
- Extended Checkbox - The applicant is presented with predetermined values to select from via a checkbox. The values are only displayed when the applicant clicks on the checkbox dropdown. Multiple values can be selected.
- File - Allows the applicant to upload a document to the question.
- Float - Numeric with special characters. Approximate numeric numbers
- Message - Text only. Does not require the applicant to respond.
- Numeric - Exact numeric numbers. Best for using arithmetic calculations for exact results.
- Phone Number - Allows for a phone number format of: xxx-xxx-xxxx
- RadioButton - The applicant is presented with predetermined values to select via a radio button. Only one value can be selected. All values are visible on the application.
- Text - A short data entry text field.
- Message - Allows you to enter a read only message statement, instead of a value related question.
Example for Text field using in questions
Select Text field type from the dropdown.
Once question is set, we can proceed for another question by selecting again Custom Question button.
Example for Date field using in questions
Select Date field type from the dropdown.
- Set minimum date, if you want user to restrict on maximum date.
- Set Maximum date, if you want user to restrict on maximum date.
Example for Drop down field using in questions
Example for phone number field using in questions
Example for Email field using in questions
Select Email field type from the dropdown.
Example for Radio button field using in questions.
For changing the value of drop down
- select Add Value button,
- Display values popup is show where you can change the value by typing in Label and Value Column.
- Once enter you need to select Green plus symbol to add that value.
- We have one more method of doing it by Editor Method, once you select Edition on popup.
- Editor Popup is shown where you can copy paste or enters values as shown in below images.
Final view of Section after adding questions.
Download the “Creating an application form in the CommunityForce System” guide